Thursday, September 20, 2012

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage!

So this week I had a training about an educational technology program that is web based for creating IEPs (individual education plan) for all the students. This is a great program because it is a state based program that allows all IEPs to be the same so if a student comes from another district it will be the same. This is wonderful because it creates continuity across all schools and makes it easier for all teachers to be able to read.

My main problem with this program is that if the server goes down either the school server or the server from the department of education you can run into a major problem that can creat a giant headache. When doing an IEP I have had the error message "Internet explorer cannot display the web page" and it is extremely frustrating! With having 12 students in my classroom the IEPs already take a lot of time to complete, time that follows through into my evenings and weekends. Now working with this technology the process has become even longer for me! Don't get me wrong I love the job and everything that I do; paperwork is a part of the game, something I must do.

I just wonder at what point does the technology begin to hinder us? When I have to take 4 hours of time to complete an IEP because I keep getting an error message, that is taking 4 hours away from planning for my students. So I love the use of educational technology but at what point does it hinder us more then it helps us?

2 comments:

  1. Meg,

    I can understand where you are coming from...I think we all can!

    Technology can seem to "get in the way" sometimes. I had a major technological hold-up working on my blog this week, for example.

    Sometimes I think if I was more skilled at using a computer I wouldn't run into as many frustrations; other times, I know it is just a problem with the computer, or server, or whatever...and that is extrememly frustrating!

    Overall I think the tools help us move faster--and when they aren't funtioning properly, we really get frustrated because we are used to getting things done quickly with computers.

    Good post!
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the title!

    I HATE when I am doing research for a lesson and that message comes up. I know what I am searching for may "sound" like something else...but as adults we have to practice good judgment. I would understand it better if filters were placed on student computers and lifted from teacher computers.

    As far as servers crashing...well, I guess it is the same as having the electricity go out when watching television. There really isn't anything that we as individuals can do. We have to wait for the fix. Frustrating...wasted time.

    But hey, with all of that "wasted time" we could play Angry Birds on our smart phones!!!!

    :-)

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete