Thursday, November 22, 2012

Technology in the Real World

So this post it a little off the main topic, but it does tie in.  I was at Disney the other day with some family and while standing in line while my niece went on her first ride ever, YAY!!!, I thought about all the technology the surrounds us.  While standing there you see all different people talking or texting on cell phones.  Many different types of digital cameras and camcorders taking pictures or videos of loved ones enjoying their time.  Then I was thinking even more and started to think about all the technology it takes to run the rides.  Sometimes I forget how much technology goes into a ride as simple as the TriceraTop spin.  There is a piece of technology devoted to making the entire ride spin, then you have an arm for each dinosaur, and then that dinosaur tilts forward and backward and can be moved up and down.  There are so many technological aspects that go into just one ride.  The same goes for one of the shows at Disney, there are so many pieces of technology from the lights to the sound, to some of the props, it is truly amazing!

So when I thought about all this technology I thought about how at one point all the people running this equipment were in school and learned about technology.  Technology is something that leads this world right now and as a teacher I need to make sure my students are equipped with the basic skills necessary to work in a field that uses technology.  I want my students to be successful in any job that they decide to choose and I know that they will be using some type of technology with their job so I need to make sure they are prepared.

What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Hello Megan,
    I think this is a very interesting post, and sometimes we really should just take a look around us at how much technology we really use. Students will learn to use more technology than we ever realised and by helping them learn basic skills with technology we are definitely helping them with jobs in the future.
    Jodie G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan,

    Great post. It is true that we often forget the behind the scenes technology and only focus on the technology that fits in our pockets or sits atop our desks. The really neat thing about technology though is that we do learn about it inadvertently. When we get a new toy we have to figure out how it works - or learn the technology. Not to mention getting new computers, or phones, or tablets.

    I think our job as educators is shifting. I think we have to go beyond just figuring out the technology available to us on the surface and dig deeper. We should be teaching our students how it works on the inside, just as we teach them how the insides of our bodies work.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Megan.

    We definitely take technology for granted, don't we? If you just stop and think about all the different aspects just in our own homes, it is amazing to see what lies underneath everything that we use on a daily basis to make our world "spin." As I began to read your post, the thought occurred to me how important our role is in the lives of our students, who, by the way, are our future designers, and carpenters, and doctors, and lawyers. WE have a very important calling, don't we?

    Then, as I continued to read your post, you said, "So when I thought about all this technology I thought about how at one point all the people running this equipment were in school and learned about technology." Right on! It is true that we must equip our students "with the basic skills necessary to work in a field that uses technology." We have a huge responsibility and I believe we have the best job on earth! :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog topic this week. You thought deeply on how integrating technology early in school will affect students in life. It’s important that we learn more than just the basics on integrating technology, we should emerge ourselves into it just like we want our students too. Not only will introducing them to technology help them in their careers it will also help them in college. Technology is always changing but if we plant the seed of knowledge, they can easily adapt to the changes that are coming ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, technology is all around us. Look no further than your kitchen! The ice maker in your freezer has to know when to start to make new ice! Ah, the refreshing feeling of technology in a tall glass of iced tea! :)

    Don't forget, though, that while we can see many tangible aspects of technology, there are so many more that we either take for granted or just don't know exist. For example...I am working on a smart phone right now... this signal is going to be shot through the air to some remote area, and then sent somewhere else...and the data will be processed...and eventually posted on your blog... oh, and did I mention that this will happen in a matter of seconds? Yeah, technology. It is amazing!

    When I think about technology, I can't help but to wonder what we did 10, 15, 25 years ago. I mean, I remember those days...but it is just stunning to know that we have come so far. What does the future bring us? It is exciting to be in the stage we are right now. Imagine how much more exciting it will be for our kids and grandkids!

    ReplyDelete